Bigboy growing...


Today we celebrate “South African first day at school” day. You live in Mars (or in another country) if you have not posted or seen or received at least one photo or post with “My baby is going to school today” or “Grade 1 here we come” or “First day of Matric”.

I was one of these proud ones that my bigboy started Grade R. One of those that did not stop taking photos. One of those that put on their sunglasses to hide their tears. One of those that did not know if they should be happy or sad when my bigboy left me to go play with the friends. One of those that panicked the day before thinking that “I don’t have everything for the first day – what a bad mummy I am”. One of those that realised that her baby is not a baby anymore – he wears a uniform!!!

But it did not actually hit me today. It hit me a few days ago. My bigboy lost his two front teeth. They were loose for some time and we decided to visit the dentist to check if everything is fine, where he said we needed to take them both out. Bigboy was more relaxed than mummy (well I decided I will hide my nervousness in filling forms). And that was it… His smile changed. His looks changed. He even looked taller all of a sudden (am I losing it?). 

Yesterday, he announced that he is big now, he can prepare his own snack box. “Oh what a blessing”, any working mother would say, me included. And he did it! He chose his fruit, his biltong; he even made a sandwich with jam and butter! As I was taking a video (for proof), he told me very seriously that he needs to focus now and I should not interrupt him. Oh, wow!

So that is it. Bigboy is a BIG BOY now. Not only that but he is getting to become an independent boy. I am sitting here wondering though. Is independence a trait? A gene? Or something we develop over time and depending on our circumstances. Surely, a poor orphan that resides in Syria during war learns to be much more independent than the equivalent in a developed country with well-off parents, three chefs, and two nannies. Why though two siblings growing up in the same family have different independence levels? There must be a different cell in their bodies. Even more importantly, I am wondering why two people have a different need for becoming independent. Regardless of the philosophical wondering, though, I believe that the parents' attitude is crucial in raising independent kids. Exposing our kids to different situations and giving them the freedom to take initiative is at the same time challenging and rewarding. (How do you fellow parents do so? Any ideas?).

For my boys thus, I tend to avoid dreaming what and how they will be when they reach adulthood. They might go to University, or not, they might travel a lot, or make family early in their lives. However, what I wish wholeheartedly that they will be independent and proud. I will be there to help, to assist, to catch them if they fall, but I dream of seeing them flying high with their own wings and with a sparkle in their eyes.

Fly my bigboy fly…


Image result for fly my son quote





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40 - a challenge and an opportunity

Surprise them (and you) with kindness

The liberation of knowing your purpose