National Young Academies of Science: Towards a mature and integrated scientist

Where do I fit in in the discussion about Young Academies of Science, leadership and career development? 

So, I am a member of the South African Young Academy of Science (SAYAS) – outgoing co-chair, a member of the Global Young Academy (GYA), former co-leader of the women in Science working group and also a fellow of the Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP). 





Does anybody count the acronyms? Hehe

In a variety of different discussions within this year, I made a statement paraphrasing the one by US President Kennedy “Ask not what the Young Academy of Science can do for you, but what you can do for the Young Academy of Science”. By this statement, I am pointing out an interesting phenomenon with the organisations I am involved in: the more you give the more you take.

So let me take the discussion a step back….

In 2017, the Dean of my Faculty asked me to apply to become a member at SAYAS. Being in social sciences, economics, I was not even sure of what exactly that meant, but I felt flattered for the recommendation and started looking to learn more about it.



What is the purpose of a Young Academy?

  • To provide a voice for young scientists
  • To bridge the gap between science/academia and policymaking
  • To make an impact on society and bring communities closer to science
  • To inspire the younger generations to think of science and academia as a career option.

I was sold. Two of my personal purposes for joining academia right there.

1) to create and inspire the next generation of scientists and 2) to make sure the research outputs of scientists are communicating with policymakers and make an impact on society.

That is the important point of the Young Academies’ purpose. Although misused at times by individuals, a Young Academy is together for the greater good, for the impact to society, for the improvement of a country and the nation.


How can that be done through their purpose?

  • Directly, by being part of the public debate with regards to science.
  • Indirectly, by creating the next generation of science leaders that have the potential to make a difference.

At the point that I got accepted in SAYAS and GYA, I was not familiar with the definition and the terminology of science leadership, impactful research, multidisciplinary approaches etc. 


Leadership is the ability to guide others without force into a direction or decision that leaves them still feeling empowered and accomplished.


Many academies in the world aim at the development of a generation of future science leaders that will make an impact in academia, the communities and beyond. However, many times the interaction is still based on ad-hoc engagements. In the African continent particularly, the general argument is that young researchers should be spending their time in labs and writing grants and publications instead of being involved with such initiatives. But isn’t this exactly what silences the voice of young scientists? How will they be involved in future research strategies at the national level that affects them before anybody else?? How can we create research and scientific communities that are engaged, representative and transformation-minded as per Prof Slippers paper of 2016 in the South African Journal of Science (SAJS).

 

I have one answer to that that takes me back to my initial statement.

By being active science leaders

By asking what we can do for society and for the promotion of the academies

 


And then this involvement will bear fruits without us even realizing it. So let me share with you the changes that have happened in my life both at a personal and professional level since my involvement with all the acronyms:

  • Networking with a wider sense, I met people from fields and countries that I have never thought I would in my life. In many cases, research fields that I didn't even know existed. You may wonder how that had an impact on me: I came out of my comfort zone and the things that I believed were reality. It made me think more widely when it came to my research. It has broadened my horizons. That is why I am saying it with a wider sense. The last few years, my relationship with the acronyms has taught me that the future of research and science is multidisciplinary.
  • We tend to work in silos in the traditional and old-fashioned scientific community. The only environment we used to know was the one we saw every day. National Academies of Science and the Global Young Academy demonstrate the diversity and we can only learn from each other.
  • Community engagement for me was an eye-opener through the activities. The “acronyms” allowed me to make an impact and think of ways on how scientists can really make a direct impact and also learn from the communities. 
  • Engagement with various stakeholders in science and academia. In the last few years, I have met with policymakers from government departments that are in strategic positions for researchers and scientists, with inspiring role models from my country or the world and the broader academia that most probably I would not have the chance to do so otherwise. Particularly via SAYAS the opportunities to discuss with them and potentially make a difference by sharing with them the challenges and the needs of scientists nowadays.   
  • Mentored and mentor others. With the way Academies are organised, new members as we enter the academy there are already older members there to share experiences and expertise in science leadership. In our turn, we can pass the knowledge and lessons learned with the next members. This torch race creates a legacy of scientists that proudly share, mentor and inspire each other. Such mind-sets are beneficial for supervisory tasks with students as well.

The alignment and linkage on how the time devoted to the Young Academies is not a waste of time for young scientists, as many would think, is quite obvious. 

To close, institutions and academia should be intentional about science leadership development through young academies of science as they are essential for young academics in their path to develop their career further (and faster?) and be equipped and inspired to make an impact. 

And the same way, scientists should also strive to engage with activities in the Young Academies with a purpose to make an impact on society and at the same time to self-development. 



From my talk at a Webinar organised by the Cameroon Academy of Young Scientists (CAYS) and the Global Young Academy (GYA) on the 23rd of October 2020.

Thankful to Prof Justine Germo, President of CAYS and fellow of the Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40 - a challenge and an opportunity

Surprise them (and you) with kindness

The liberation of knowing your purpose