To apologize or not to apologize? And if so, when?


As kids, our parents, elders, teachers, religious leaders and other adults taught us and many times pushed us to apologize for just ending a fight.

I am just wondering though (me wondering? What a surprise!) if these methods had polarized our generation into two types of individuals: the ones that say I am sorry quickly just to end the discussion without properly understanding its meaning and the ones on the other side of the pendulum that resist apologizing for no reason (a fact that sometimes translates in avoidance of accepting their responsibilities).

When I was in high school, I must admit I was not an easy person. I was going through various phases in my mind and I was getting stuck. In one of those, I refused to say “I am sorry”, not even for stepping on someone’s foot. The reasoning behind it was “I am sorry” means “I will try not to do it again” so if I cannot promise to do so I will not say it.

So, what is my problem with people that apologize quickly? For me, there are two issues there: one has to do with their relationship with others and one with themselves. Firstly, apologizing prematurely does not allow the discussion (fight?) to continue and run its course. Unfinished and unresolved issues will linger underneath and might surface at unexpected times. Saying sorry prematurely and for no reason allows people not to take their responsibilities. Then for themselves, it creates a mentality of carrying the earth on their back, that they are responsible for everything. In the beginning, the act might feel heroic and world-saving, but as time passes such behaviour converts into self-victimization. Behaviour that leads to stress into how to stop the next disagreement and save the next fight. But who tells us that the disagreement needs to end before it runs its course and before all parties express their opinions and sides? And why not “fighting” for your side to at least be heard before saying sorry to avoid the discussion?

Now the ones that don’t apologize? The ones that do not take responsibility for their actions, don’t reflect on what role they have played in the argument and finally, do not learn from their mistakes so much so that they will even commit to making an effort to avoid the same mistake again. Just to be clear here. I am referring to people that do not apologize when they think they are wrong. That has nothing to do with the timing of the apology. And I can almost hear somebody (or a few somebodies in my ears) “But what if I am never wrong?”. Well, that then is a much bigger reason for self-reflection and look deep inside us. I fail to believe that we can be right in all the arguments and disagreements I have ever had in our lives. Even in the ones that I believe that fundamentally and in principle I was right, there were issues in the way I expressed myself and explained my side. Oops, and that is another important point of the apology. In an argument and disagreement, there is not supposed to be an outcome with a winner and loser. To me, the ultimate outcome is when after a heated disagreement the two (or more) parties come later together and admit their own mistakes by discussing what they could have done differently and move on and forward from there.

And sometimes in some arguments, as my pappous (grandpa) used to say “we agree that we disagree” and pappou, if I may add…If and when we have more information and data, we can come back together and discuss it again.

 

So, finally, when should we apologize??

When we mean it and when we feel it…
When we have thought of it and we are conscious about it…
When we are committed to making an effort to avoid doing the same mistake again…
When we do so to enable the discussion and learn from each other but not cover things and avoid conflict…

 

PS. Special thanks to Lucca and Dimitri for inspiring me and teaching me the value of an apology.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40 - a challenge and an opportunity

Surprise them (and you) with kindness

The liberation of knowing your purpose