From the Stage: A Supervisor's Reflections on Graduation Ceremonies

 As a supervisor, graduation ceremonies have always been a bittersweet affair. They mark the peak of years of hard work, dedication, and determination for my students, and witnessing their journey from nervous first-year students to confident doctorates fills me with a sense of pride that words cannot fully express.

Each year, as I watch the procession of graduates making their way across the stage, I am reminded of the countless challenges they have had to overcome to reach this moment. I've seen everything from late nights in the library to last-minute cramming sessions. But what truly amazes me is their resilience in the face of hardship. Whether juggling multiple jobs to pay for tuition or overcoming personal hardships, my students have demonstrated an unwavering commitment to their education that inspires me daily.

But it's not just the students who make graduation ceremonies special; it's also their families. The pride and joy radiating from the audience as their loved ones receive their diplomas is deep. I often find myself getting emotional as I witness these heartfelt moments, knowing that behind every graduate stands a support system of family and friends who have cheered them every step of the way. But also being in awe of those who achieved this without a strong support system, fighting on their own!

And then there's the atmosphere of the ceremony itself – the smiles, the laughter, the sense of accomplishment that fills the air. It's infectious, and even after attending countless graduations, I still can't help but feel a surge of excitement every time I step onto the stage.

Of course, sitting on stage for hours on end can be a challenge in itself. But over the years, I've developed a little game to pass the time – rating shoes and outfits in my mind. It may sound silly, but it never fails to make me giggle and helps me stay engaged during the long ceremonies.

Sometimes, amidst the festivities, I daydream about the future, imagining the day when my boys will stand up there, proud and accomplished, ready to take on the world. It's a thought that fills me with excitement and a pain of nostalgia for the graduations of my past. Maybe it's because my undergraduate graduation was not the typical celebratory affair. It was a simple meeting with the dean, another student, and our families. It lacked the enthusiasm and excitement of a traditional ceremony, and my friends were not graduating with me. But despite its simplicity, it held immense importance in my heart. It was the first time I saw my entire family gather to celebrate an occasion, a memory that has stayed with me ever since.

My doctorate graduation was everything I had dreamed of. My supervisor's words and the sense of achievement as I walked across the stage made it a moment I will never forget. It solidified my passion for education and instilled in me a deep appreciation for the significance of these ceremonies in marking life's milestones.

In the end, graduation ceremonies are about more than just receiving a piece of paper; they're about celebrating the journey that has led us to this moment. And as a supervisor, there's nothing quite like witnessing that journey firsthand and knowing that I played a small part in helping my students reach their goals.

So here's to the graduates – may your futures be bright, your dreams big, and your accomplishments many. And to the families, thank you for entrusting us with your loved ones and sharing in this special day's joy. 

As for me, I will be here on stage, cheering you on every step of the way and be next to you to fix your tie and the crown on your head.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Letting go - or is it quitting?

40 - a challenge and an opportunity