Nigerian Angels my way…


It was about time that I travelled in another African country and experience what the African continent has to offer after more than 10 years in South Africa (only travelled for honeymoon to Mauritius and Zambia). An opportunity to travel to Nigeria for a conference came and I did not think about it much – I grabbed it. Of course, the reactions of whoever heard about the trip varied from looks of concern to “oh my word, aren’t you scared?”. Scared? I cant say I was before the trip. The mechanism that I decided to use was taking everything step by step and deal with the trip as with any other trip anywhere in the world where one does not know the conditions and the system. I did not ignore the voices of concern but I had everything neatly in my mind. Maybe the Nigerian delegates in some of the courses I taught had already given me a warm feeling, and I did not have enough proof to counter that – maybe call me romantic or even better naïve.

Worse thing that can happen to every traveller is to fall sick one day before the trip. And that’s exactly what happened to me. Fortunately, I got medicine before flying and was hoping they will kick in as soon as possible. However, throughout my flight and waiting time at Ethiopia I had the worse headache and – possibly – fever as well. That, certainly, did not help the experience. But that’s exactly where the first Nigerian Angels appeared… I mentioned earlier the Nigerian delegates of short courses I had taught? Well, indeed two of the  friendliest Nigerian ladies I had met (till then) not only were at the airport lounge with me but they were flying with the same flights to the same destination. Just seeing a familiar – and friendly – face gives another tone to the trip. Even more though, by the time we were waiting to board on the second flight from Ethiopia, I had been sicker, more miserable, and more tired than I have been in my entire life – or so it felt. That’s exactly where the Nigerian Angels gave me the biggest hug and said: “come, you are with us now”. That’s exactly what I needed.

I arrive then to the airport where, as in all airports you feel a general disorientation when you arrive the first time, checking my passport, and proceed to the “merry go round” to get my luggage. Oh the chaos! Too many people – too little space! And I started questioning my decision to visit the country…after waiting for I do not know how long, I manage to get my suitcase. But as I walk to the gate, I see standing there, almost hanging at the gate, with a worried expression on his face, the next Nigerian Angel – the host of the conference. He showed me how genuinely worried he was for me for being so late. Oh, that was the welcome I needed – and that was a decisive moment in my trip; that Nigeria Angel was a catalyst. I decided then and there that I will look for, analyse and discuss only the positives in this visit.

After that, I think I was attracting Nigerian Angels for two days; that’s how I felt. The gentleman that helped me at the hotel, realised that although I did not want to make an issue for the “smoking” room I got and within 10 minutes, called me back. He had spoken with the reception and made sure I am transferred to another room. Call it good service? I call it good heart. The ladies at the conference were actually a group of Nigerian Angels –even if I was standing outside a venue, they were there next to me to ask if I needed anything. Nigerian angels found me in the session of my presentation too. I was explained that in Nigeria, another African is a brother or a sister and are treated as brothers or sisters. I was always amazing for me that I was called sister every now and then and thought that it is because of my difficult name and surname, people turned to sister. No! I was a sister; and I was not a sister only in words, I felt like a sister the way they treated me – like one of the family.

Time to go back home and after saying goodbye to new friends, we arrived at the airport. The checking in and passport control and all the rest went smoothly, until the last checking of my documents. “There is something missing, you cannot go through” is not a sentence you would like to hear 25 minutes from boarding time. The (very) young lady showed that she had practised the “it’s the rules” so many times to avoid travellers like me that want to question everything and since she had the final word to me flying back home I decided to surrender. But the stress has started piling up. I went to the lady that could help me with the document but there was a fee. No, it is not the right time to argue if the fee was formal or not… that’s another story and does not fall with the theme of “focus on the positive”. I explained to her that I have no cash so she showed me where the ATM was (all the way at the entrance of the airport) so off I go. Just imagine the stress… I try the ATM and it does not have cash…what now? I ask around and they show me an ATM OUTSIDE the airport with a queue of six people at least. What else could I do? I stand at the back of the queue and while I stress and make scenarios on missing the flight etc etc  I burst into tears. Yes yes I start crying… and that’s where the last Nigerian Angel made her appearance. A sister came to ask me if I am fine and if I needed anything (except for the big hug that she gave me anyway). When I explained, she asked all the others if I can pass the line and there was absolutely no reaction, on the contrary, they scolded me why I have not asked earlier. More Nigerian Angels I thought. To cut the long story short, I made it back to the waiting area having to walk and being checked again but this time, with big smiles and lots of assistance from every single person.


Now I am sitting here at the Ethiopian airport and my conclusion is a country is not made of its problems and difficult conditions. What makes a country is its people and only them. Nigeria has its problems (which country doesn’t?) that are intensified by high levels of poverty, unemployment, inequality, and corruption. The political instability, as well as the cash-only, in some cases, economy, the criminal activity and the high population density do not make the country an attractive destination for visitors. So I am not trying to advertise the country for holidays – I would not be able to do so after visiting only for 2 days and that for business.

But, Nigeria is the only country I have visited where you might feel unsafe to be outside in the streets but inside, you feel more welcome than your own home. And you know what? It is the genuine smiles and offers that made me love these people. The genuine care and true embraces. The immense happiness when they were asking if I will come back and I would reply “yes, and next time I will be more organised and stay longer”. They are real people not afraid to show appreciation and admiration or disagreement and dissatisfaction. 

And it is a wonderful feeling to be surrounded by Nigerian Angels...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

40 - a challenge and an opportunity

From the Stage: A Supervisor's Reflections on Graduation Ceremonies

The liberation of knowing your purpose